March 22, 2010

My First Challenge

Hi there! One of the reasons why I started this blog was to take advantage of all the great sketches and challenges on various sites. Today I'm sharing a card I made using Card Patterns Sketch 56. This card is for my Grandma, whose favorite flower is the dogwood.

Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper: Colorbok; Stamps: Oriental Trading Company, The Paper Studio; Ink: Clearsnap; Chalk: EK Success; Gems: Michael's

I just love how these pretty little flowers turned out! I cut them out by hand from white cardstock, then used some brown chalk and ink to add the detail on the tips of the petals. Next I wanted to give it some texture, so I added "veins" to the petals using an empty ball point pen. I found that it helped to put a piece of foam underneath, as this helped make a smoother, deeper impression. Why didn't I just use a stylus? The one I had was too wide to give this level of detail, and I had a dried up pen on hand, so it seemed like a good idea!


I'd love to hear your comments! Are you participating in the Card Patterns sketch this week?

Have a great day!



5 comments:

Kathy said...

I love how you distressed the dogwood leaves..so realistic and beautiful. Happy Spring :)

dstandard said...

Beautiful card!Thanks for joining us at Card Patterns!

Dawn said...

Oh, the inking on those petals adds so much! Beautiful layout and gorgeous card.

NinaB said...

Love your birthday card. Thanks for joining us this week at Card Patterns.

Laurie said...

OK I love this! The patterened paper and the stitching is so cute! Great card!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...