January 17, 2011

SSSC #100, Color Inspiration Bright & Bold Challenge, & MLK day


Hi there, friends!  Today here in the U.S., many of us had the day off to celebrate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  Since it is also a day to celebrate his life and work as a Civil Rights leader, I wanted to make a card with this wonderful quote by another well-known pacifist, Mahatma Gandhi.  I used Karen's Sweet Sunday Sketch #100 and the Bright & Bold Color Challenge combination for Color Inspiration week in the Moxie Fab World.


I flipped Karen's sketch on its side to accommodate the sentiment, which is a stamp from Unity (love this quote!).  The patterned paper is by Reminisce and has been in my stash forever.  I used PTI's Polka Dots impression plate on the large Hibiscus Burst circle, then added stitching around the edge.  Just a tip:  the key to stitching in a circle is to stitch very slowly!

I used PTI's Medium Scallop Border die on Orange Zest cardstock, then wrapped some striped Pumpkin Pie ribbon from Stampin' Up! around the front of the card and added a bow.  Some pink and orange bling adds the finishing touch.

Cardstock:  Papertrey Ink (True Black, Hibiscus Burst, Orange Zest, white)
Patterned paper:  Reminisce
Stamp:  Unity (Quote Bundle pack)
Ink:  Clearsnap (Black)
Tools:  Papertrey Ink (Polka dot impression plate, Medium Scallop border die), We R Memory Keepers (Corner Chomper)
Accessories:  Stampin' Up! (ribbon), Queen & Co. (orange rhinestones), Me & My Big Ideas (pink rhinestones), Stampendous (clear embossing powder), thread

These bright colors were definitely a challenge for me, but I really love how this turned out.  I hope you enjoy it too!

Thanks for stopping by tonight!

5 comments:

Marisa said...

Well done with the bright colours and Karen's sketch. Love that sentiment! Great new look to your blog too. Not sure how long it's been there - I'm a bit slow to pick these things up LOL, but it looks great regardless of how long it's taken me to notice!

Smita said...

OMG OMG OMG!! I love the black and the bright colors on it :-) The rhinestones are totally droolworthy and so is the ribbon :-)

And I liked that you used a quote by the father of our nation, Mahatma Gandhi! :-)

Hugs,
Smita

Amy Kolling said...

Such a fun colorful card....my favorite parts are the rhinestones!

Nance Leedy said...

I just can't stand it...how do you manage to pull off these amazing cards everyday?! I was away for just 3 days and look at all the fabby creations you've got here. Love the colors, love the layout, love the ribbon...ADORE the rhinestones and the sentiment behind your post and the card. Pitch perfect. And the new blog? Be still my heart. LOVE.

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Christina! Thanks for entering the Bright & Bold challenge in the Color Inspiration for Card Makers Week suite of six challenges in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...